Monday, October 21, 2013

Featured Designer- Yael's Place



This week's featured designer is Yael's Place.  Owner and designer Yael creates super cute polymer clay figurines for weddings, birthdays, holidays and other occasions.  These pieces are so sweet and unique they are sure to add personality and charm to any occasion.  If you are looking for something different Yael also does beautiful custom work.  
To learn more about Yael and what inspires her check out her feature below.

How did you come up with the Name of your Shop?
Well....my first name is Yael (it's a biblical Hebrew name), so you can understand where the "yael" in yaelsplace came from...I see my shop not only as a cake toppers shop but so much more. It is a place where brides (and grooms) can add a unique character to their wedding cake with my cake toppers, but it is also a place for me to get creative, express myself, connect with other people, and learn a lot.

Tell us a little bit about your shop and what you think makes it unique?
My cake toppers are 100% hand made. every little detail is made by me with a lot of love. I don't use molds of any kind. I even custom make the colors of the clay (by mixing different colors). I create custom orders so the bride and groom can take part in the creative process. Since there are no "rules" for wedding cake toppers, this is the one detail where they can really express themselves and add a personal touch to their wedding. 

My customers are one of my greatest sources of inspiration and I'm honored every time someone choose one of my items for their special day. I know everything needs to be perfect on that day so I keep close communication with my customers during the process of creating their cake topper.
What is your favorite item at the store and why?
That's a tough one...I have few that I really like but I think that my favorite would have to be the sheep

because they are just so cute! I also think that their color will go well with any cake and that this is a really good choice for a wedding cake topper.How did you get started in your craft? I've been experimenting with different types of art and crafts for the last 10 years. 

A few years ago I discovered polymer clay - and I owe it all to my nephew who was having his 4th birthday at the time. For some reason he wanted to have animals on his cake. 

Cake toppers are not so common in Israel and we couldn't find any at such short notice. So I had no choice, I had to make it myself. 

I made it from marzipan and then I thought to myself - if I can make it from marzipan I can try and make it from clay! From that point on it was a very challenging journey. I am self taught so making mistakes and feeling frustrated comes with the territory. After few years of learning I felt that I wanted to share my crafts with other people and I opened my shop.

I am obsessed with Yael's creations.  They are so cute!  this dino family is my favorite :-)


Make sure to check out all of Yael's amazing pieces on her Etsy shop Yaelsplace



No comments:

Post a Comment